Sunday, August 10, 2008

You win some, you win some...

As the Yankees spiral down into the abyss, I'll share an interesting scenario with you...

Background: I pretty much never bet against the Yankees. I'm not one of yer "bet with your head, not with your heart" kinda guys, you see. I've lost money in recent years making absurd NY-centric predictions (Mike Mussina winning the Cy Young, Robinson Cano winning a batting title (this year!), etc.), and I've lost face making spontaneous/drunken Yankee wagers (forced to grow mustache for 30 days, free homeworks for students, etc.). I just don't bet against my team-- ask anyone.

I happen to have tickets to the final regular season game at Yankee Stadium this year, which is any year (unless a tiebreaker is required, a weird make-up game is scheduled, etc.). These tickets suck-- they're two of the worst non-LF bleachers seats available in the park. But, they're mine.

Given the Yanks' sorry state of affairs at the moment, I find myself in a rare "win-win" situation with my team. Of course I hope we make the playoffs this year, believe me. If we do, the problem of predicting and purchasing the "last game" arises (this will be ugly). Personally, I'll go with "Game 2" of any series (whether it's 5 or 7 games, home or away team), which doesn't really have to be the second game of a series, of course. Still, that's a nasty call to have to make.

So, if we don't make the playoffs, I'm rewarded with the last Yankee game ever at the Stadium. I guess the worst scenario is making the playoffs, buying tickets to a game that isn't really the last one somehow, and getting knocked out of the postseason. Ouch.

Forgive me if my tone isn't suitably shitty these next couple of months... I'm just trying to stay positive.

5 comments:

Left Field said...

How much do you want to bet that Mussina wins 20 games this year?

me said...

hmmm...
I'll put down $20 for 20, with a $5 buyout option (for either of us) when I see you on the 30th.
I'll put another $20 that says Pavano pitches for the Yanks this year.

Left Field said...

I meant I want Mussina winning 20 games...and Pavano will definitely pitch in the majors this year, especially after yesterday's bullpen fiasco.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see Pavano, ever since that weird warming up in the bullpen sign at the stadium a few months ago. I think Moose is gonna win 19. For some reason, Moose can't break that 20 game mark. Shit, I hope he does, especially after reading that book this summer. My fingers are crossed for him. Lee, that would be amazing if he got his 20th at that last game. Bigger question: After this season, do you still think he's gonna retire?

Another thought that men's relay tonight was just fantastic. I also have fully realized how fat and out of shape I am.....

me said...

I certainly hope we see Moose too, Kumod. We'll have few tough calls at the end of the season as to who stays and who goes...

Gotta make sure I watch some swimming tonight. I can't get the hang of this time zone thing.