Monday, February 10, 2014

Team Figure Skating

Romantic warriors
The first-ever Olympic Team Figure Skating event concluded yesterday, with the gold going to the Russian Federation. I guess showing the same stuff a few times works in gymnastics, so why not in skating too?

I shouldn't complain, since I'm strongly in favor of anything giving Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir more televised ice time. The 2010 Vancouver winter games took place a couple of weeks after my baby girl was born, and I distinctly remember thinking the Moir/Virtue ice dancing gold medal routine was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen in my life. Well, one of the most beautiful things I'd ever seen in my life.

This time around my mind was only partially fried, and the Canadian anges sur glace were once again mesmerizing. The judges opted for style over beauty and gave the top ice dancing score to the Americans. Maybe it wasn't style they favored, but it certainly wasn't beauty.

However, it was the Russian Federation team that earned gold all-around, largely on the tiny shoulders of Yulia Lipnitskaya. Her short routine on Saturday ended with a spin of such astonishing torque that she nearly drilled herself through the ice into the bowels of the Iceberg Skating Palace. The fact that her foot (w/skate) was contorted behind her head for the dizzying spin-finale pushed things into the absurd. Oh yeah, she drew a little heart on the ice as the music ended.

"Little Nikita" (I couldn't find a nickname for her anywhere except "кренделек," which I believe loosely translates into "spinning pretzel") put in another phenomenal performance on Sunday in the free skate portion of the event. She drew ire from many for choosing to skate to the theme from Schindler's List- I mean, couldn't she at least use "Love Theme from Schindler's List"?!!

Speaking of odd music choices, American bad girl Ashley Wagner skated to Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" for her short routine. NBC's commentators apparently found nothing strange about doing triple lutzes to an extended Dave Gilmour guitar solo, simply stating, "Well, she certainly is a crazy diamond."

COMING SOON: Women's curling, Men's biathlon

No comments: