Sunday, February 24, 2008

Little House on the Prairie

Imagine my surprise when Little House on the Prairie (Season 1) arrived in our little red Netflix envelope ("Jeez, did we really put this on our queue?"). Imagine further my surprise when I enjoyed the dickens out of it!

It would be easy to make hipster cracks at the show (the sexy prairie-chic of Karen Grassle, Pa's stoned late-night fiddling, etc.), but that's not what I'm doing. This is a good show about good people trying to do good things. To make fun of the people of Walnut Grove would be like making fun of life itself, and that's not what I'm about. Maybe it's L.J., maybe something else... this DVD had me ready to run outside and thresh something with my own bare hands.

Well, there were a few things that didn't make sense about the show. The wagon wheels started to fall off around episode 4 ("Mr. Edward's Homecoming" [sic]). You mean to tell me that the Ingalls ladies are gonna be fine with Charles bringing a bearded souse (Mr. Edwards) home with him from Mankato to stay indefinitely? I've tried that a few times, and it doesn't work.

Then Charles is able to just hook the drunk up with a good job at the mill the next day?! The same Charles that had to walk 100 miles to find a crappy job blasting rock for the railroad in episode 3?! I may be from Plum Creek, but I wasn't born yesterday.

Either way, I can't wait for the next disc to come in the mail. Will Half-Pint finally break into the social circle at school? Or will Nellie Oleson keep her death-grip on recess fun? Will we finally figure out which one is Lindsay Greenbush and which one is Sidney Greenbush? I'll let you know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.