Wednesday, July 11, 2012

T is for Trip Shakespeare

"You will find a weapon..."
Talking Heads - More Songs About Buildings and Food (1978)
Not the one most people pick, which (I can't deny) makes me like it even more. I like the fact that it still sounds like a live band, except we've got Eno floating around overhead. He's kind of just observing, but occasionally breathes a cloud of synth-mist when he deems it appropriate.
These guys were absolutely ahead of their time, but also very much in their time.

Talking Heads - Remain in Light (1980)

So fucking good... This is the one topping most lists. Hotshots galore (Belew, Nona Hendryx, Jon Hassell, Robert Palmer (!)), but that's just fine. A party album for wiseass dorks, but also a dark sonic tunnel for dopeheads. James Murphy was listening.

Teenage Fanclub - A Catholic Education (1990)
Not the one most people pick, which (I can't deny) has gotten me into more than a few ridiculous fights. "Everything Flows" is the best and most important song of '90s indie rock. Period.
I never thought of this as a pop record, despite coming from indie pop's "next big thing." When this record came out, I was blissfully slogging around in the sludgy morass of the day: anything from Seattle, Ragged Glory, Goo, as well as MBV, Ride, etc. The murkier the better.
"Everything Flows" emerged from the swamp like a beast of enlightenment, still a creature of the mud but clearly headed somewhere better. It also carried an entire album on its back, giving brilliant context to a collection of occasionally very good songs. We listen to the rest of A Catholic Education to reconcile our silly lives with the opening track.


Teenage Fanclub - Bandwagonesque (1991)
I popped in an advance cassette of this album sometime early in the fall of '91.
I was amongst friends and fans (not of me, of music), and sat seething in my chair as the pretty outro of "The Concept" slowly faded away. I then took the tape out and threw it across the room (did I really do that? not exactly sure) in disgust. What the fuck were the Fanclub doing? I proclaimed their new album to be "worse than The King" and drank myself stupid (did I really do that? probably). I even suggested that we were being duped by yet another throwaway album, and that the "real" new Teenage Fanclub record is still out there somewhere.
I eventually calmed down and learned that Bandwagonesque was almost perfect (except for the first two songs, since I still can't listen to "The Concept" with a straight mind). "I Don't Know" and "Star Sign" are all-time greats, and "Alcoholiday" became a life-anthem for my tightest group of friends at the time, albeit in a slightly revised form ("We've got nothin', let's drink tussin...").


Television - Marquee Moon (1977)
I was kinda young when I bought this one, and scrambled for reference points when I first heard it. I was certainly no stranger to guitar records, but this was from another universe. I was still under the impression that the Allmans Fillmore stuff was as far as two guitars could go, and the title track changed my mind. Funny, "Marquee Moon" and "You Don't Love Me" are more similar than anyone might imagine.

Richard & Linda Thompson - Shoot Out the Lights (1982)
I bought the cassette of Across a Crowded Room right when it came out, after seeing the video for "When the Spell is Broken" (great fucking song). I wanted more, and some quick research (a book!) led me to Shoot Out the Lights. Blown away, I vowed never to buy another Dire Straits record after Brothers In Arms, which I had just bought.


Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die (1996)This is as much clean fun as one can possibly have with a clear conscience while listening to absurd math/post-rock from Chicago. I used to pronounce the pastiched masterpiece opening track ("Djed") as "JED" but with a slight hint of the D, kind of like DJIBOUTI. I am an idiot.

Trip Shakespeare - Are You Shakespearienced? (1989)
This was the unanimous theme of a life-changing summer voyage seven of us took to the largest state in the union. Most people don't really like this record, let alone love it like I always will. Guess you had to be there.

Pete Townshend - Empty Glass (1980)
I listened to this one on headphones on an early '80s family trip to California. Hearing "I Am an Animal" while driving up the coast was a profoundly formative experience, both musically and personally. Great songs, exquisite musicianship, and Pete's arrival as a vocalist. Oh yeah, the terrifying baring of a pained human soul as well.

A Tribe Called Quest - The Low End Theory (1991)
It wasn't exactly a challenge to find a great rap record in 1991, but this one slammed like an upright bass over the back of your head. Not many got the "jazz" thing right in '90s hip-hop, and these guys nailed it down first and best.
Me and the "Alcoholiday" crew I referenced earlier blew the roof off a party in Providence with this joint. Our band had just moved to town, and we were slowly getting to know the local scenesters. We were finally invited to a party, and decided to bring this CD along with a few 40s. Not exactly revolutionary from our parts, but our party hosts eyed our entrance as if we'd walked in with Uzis and a pitbull.
What happened? Whaddya think-- we rocked the house, met some ladyfriends, and I think I walked home in the snow at six-in-tha-moooornin'.

3 comments:

Joey Pants said...

Great post. Lots of memories of things I can't quite remember for one reason or another.

I love the choice of Trip Shakespeare. I'm enjoying the new Dirty Projectors record right now and I feel they're the heirs to TS's art school rock legacy.

Also want to point out that TS's Dan Wilson has become one of Rick Rubin's go-to songwriters. He co-wrote Adele's "Somone Like You" and his melodic-genius-stink is all over it.

Left Field said...

Of course, I was roommates with one of your Alaska cohorts for a year or so in the mid-'90s and Across the Universe was the TS album he introduced me to. Other than "The Slacks," which I thought was a pretty fun song, it was pretty much unlistenable.

Believe it or not, I didn't discover Marquee Moon until about five years ago. It was worth the wait.

Lee said...

I've crossed paths with Dirty Projectors before... hope I don't have to drive to Whitehorse to appreciate them.
As far as Across the Universe goes, there's some decent stuff on there! "Turtledove" is magnificent, and I serenade my children with "Snow Days" every time Magic Mike cancels school. "The Crane" is pretty good too.