Sunday, February 1, 2009

Lee's Top Ten Songs

(originally appeared as a comment to a post from All Of It)

1. "Magical Mystery Tour" - The Beatles
My favorite song (and record) as a kid. I left the gatefold album out in the rain once while the vinyl played safely inside.


2. "Black Dog" - Led Zeppelin
If you're not into this song, then you never really bang your head.
If you never really bang your head, then you're not into this song.
You're into "Black Dog" if and only if you really bang your head.


3. "Swastika Girls" - Fripp & Eno
This was my first punk rock moment. Funny, since this song might be the polar opposite of punk rock (if such a thing is possible).

4. "Night Moves" - Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet Band
Me and a few of my friends were tripping one night and decided we should each pick the greatest song ever recorded, and then somehow secretly play each one on the stereo. The "secret" part was nearly impossible, but this was my choice that night.


5. "Sucker M.C.'s" - Run-D.M.C.
First time I heard this a bunch of dorky kids were playing it on their front stoop. I couldn't believe what I was hearing (or seeing)...


6. "Damage, Inc." - Metallica
If you're not into this song, then you never really bang... oops, already used that one. I used to spit on indie rockers that hated Metallica. Now I buy coffee from them.


7. "Glider" - My Bloody Valentine
Had a real mind-melter listening to this on the L.I.E. bombed on cough syrup. Then had to see them live to confirm that the song was even real. It was, and it is.


8. "Everything Flows" - Teenage Fanclub
After the grunge and indie rock was left to rot in the landfills, this song is still alive and kicking.


9. "Criminology" - Raekwon & Ghostface
I felt like I waited my whole life to hear this song. It's never been topped since.


10. "Exactly Where I'm At" - Ween
After falling onto the train tracks at 59th St, I crawled out and home to listen to this. I still haven't decided if the song saved my life or ruined it.


Honorable mentions: "Thrasher" - Neil Young, "Bobby James" - N.E.R.D., "I Heard Her Call My Name" - Velvet Underground

No comments: