Monday, November 2, 2009

I don't like Mondays

[just got to the TV at 8:20 after a non-stop day of logarithms, meetings, Jr's music class, veggie soup dinner & "The Hall-o-weiner." Game is joined in progress.]

8:21 - Looks like the ballgame's been pretty busy too. Burnett's such a damn wack-job!

8:23 - Joe Buck: "Teixeira just literally took a hit away from Ibanez." How else could he take it away?

8:25 - A.J. Burnett must've stepped in dog shit... someone just ran out to the mound with what looks like a gardening spade so he can scrape the shit off his shoe.

8:32 - Cliff Lee looks kinda like an indie rocker... maybe a one-off member of the Unsane or something.

8:41 - JB awkwardly mumbles something about ALS to the effect of "if you've ever experienced the disease, or know anyone who's experienced it..." I sincerely doubt that someone that actually has ALS will feel their spirits lifted by this effort, Joe.

8:52 - Damon works the walk!

8:55 - Can you imagine if Kate Hudson sat in the bleachers (I guess they have bleachers??) at Citizens Bank Park tonight? You could make an entire film just on that.

8:59 - I can't get over Utley without his hat on... total greaseball. He looks just like Gaear Grimsrud!

9:10 - That's it for Burnett. Might be it for Lee, too. What time is the replay of Mad Men tonight?

9:15 - David Robertson should just walk around with a bomb strapped to his chest...

9:18 - Hmmm... how can I make it through this game? Spider solitaire? The nine beers left over from our party on Saturday? The quarter bottle of Delsym in the med cabinet? Hang out with-- shit, she fell asleep. Maybe I'll scrub the kitchen floor. On Ambien.

9:21 - I know!! I'll add some more crap to our FreshDirect order!

9:32 - That was kind of a bust. All I added were some pineapple chunks; I was unable to order the Chipotle-lime chicken w/rice for tomorrow's delivery.

9:33 - Hilarious dugout interview with Joe Girardi: (on Burnett) "Yeah, he didn't have the command he had last game... his fastball and breaking ball weren't working..." He sucked.

9:37 - What a snooze-fest! No, really. My wife's snoring, and I can sorta hear Jr. rumbling away in his room. That Delsym's sounding mighty smart right now.

9:42 - Hmmm... what's in the fridge?

9:48 - OK, I've decided on a tab of Ambien, a shot of Jager, an old Saturday puzzle and a bag of Goldfish crackers. I'll call it The Missouri Compromise.

9:52 - Nice foul-up by JB: "In comes Alfredo Aceves, who hasn't pitched since game 2 of the ALCS on October 17th. Except, of course, when he appeared in game 3 on October 19th and was charged with the loss..."

9:54 - Youchhh! Gardner just slammed into the wall. Swisher came over and checked on him, like "You OK man? Not that we have anyone to bring in for you if you're not, but... you sure you're OK?"

9:59 - They should run a crawl at the bottom of every game with a computer-generated stream of stat-based factoids. Stuff like "no team has ever blown a 5-run lead at home in game 5 while trying to repeat as World Series champs in an odd non-leap year against a team employing a 3-man rotation containing two lefties..."

10:04 - I'm watching baseball at 10pm in goddamn November!!! What the hell has happened to this country??!!!

10:06 - Speaking of civic outrage, I'm officially boycotting tomorrow's election. This shit that Bloomberg pulled is outrageous. The guy he's running against seems even worse, so I'm refusing to vote. I ALWAYS vote (I even voted twice in a single election once... as both a male AND female!).

10:27 - Just wandered around for about 20 minutes. Did a few dishes, had a few laughs. I also ate a giant handful of candy corn out of a bowl in the foyer-- not recommended.

10:30 - God, I hope I don't stay up until 11:30 just to watch us lose by 4 runs. That's just not something I can afford to do anymore.

10:33 - So Utley's gonna hit like 20 home runs in this Series.

10:36 - Cool! Phil "Spruce Goose" Hughes is warming up.

10:37 - Once you have a 3-1 lead in a series, your best bet really is to talk as much shit as humanly possible. In the unlikely event that you actually blow the series, you'll be so utterly devastated that people thinking you're an idiot is the very least of your worries. I learned this lesson in 2004... I skulked around for a week, terrified, when I could been insulting dimwits in varying conditions of vulnerability and having a great time.


10:49 - Whoa... starting to fade a little bit here. I just woulda swore that Mark Teixeira was Ralph Macchio.

10:51 - Some more A-Rod magic! We're only down by 4!

10:54 - My battery's about to go. If you lose me unexpectedly, it could be due to many things, probably all at once. I'm going to get a popsicle.

11:04 - Wow, this Ambien/Jager combo's awesome. I'm calling it The Roadmeister.



4 comments:

Left Field said...

I should have done a better job of distracting myself, rather than just sitting there being miserable and stressing about Pettitte pitching on three days rest. [Not a big fan of this plan, btw.] I did get in some spider solitaire, brushing and flossing, and ironing of my work clothes for today, though.

spacejace said...

"I'm watching baseball at 10pm in goddamn November!!! What the hell has happened to this country??!!!" - this is my favorite line, but all are great. I may do this for game 6, Lee.
...Here's my take on smacktalk: ANY time is a good time, not just "because you might feel so devastated if you lose," but because of this: it's just fucking words. sitcks and stones, baby, sticks and stones! it's JUST words! I have smack-talked my life away, to everyone I've ever met and anyone who won't listen! It's win-win: if you talk smack, and your desired event actually comes thru for you, it's DOUBLE-hurt on who you berated and tortured. If it doesn't, sure, some may come back at you with the kitchen sink, but 1) so what? words! 2) if they REALLY come back at you, with mass social networking re-quotes that you posted earlier, for example, or power point presentations or billboards (!), it only helps toughen your skin, moving forward, making you that much more awesome!! It's win-win! I'm dead serious about this here. Worked for me my whole life!!!! And on that note, "FUCK THE GODDAMNED YANKMEES AND THEIR ARROGANT, INSOLENT, ELITIST, FRONT-RUNNING FAN BASE!!! WWOHOHOOOOOOOOO!!!"

Lee said...

hold up, space... this is coming from a guy who predicted "yanks in 6"??! not exactly fightin' words!

spacejace said...

funny Lee, and that's the thing: they're two diff things:
1) my analytical, objective, observation/prediction, and 2) my passionate-fueled desire!

My Philly friends can't seem to grasp the two are mutually-exclusive. Yes, I predicted in Yankees in 6, and things went pretty much how I expected them to, howEVER, I would have LOVED to be wrong, and get a Phillies win!

I'm a pro at this: I can go one way w/ my brain (and win $), and another w/ my heart (fanatic).